Constitutional document in force:
- 1982 Constitution as amended 2010: English
- Drafting of a new Constitution ongoing
Click for information on the methodology
The country pages are collections from information openly available on the web or documents obtained by the MECF with national constitutional events categorized as follows:
1. New Constitutional Document
A “New Constitutional Document” under the terms of this website is a text that bears new constitutional authority, which was not enacted by a preexisting amendment procedure of the highest law available.
Documents are categorized as “Amendments” if they were established according to an existing constitutional amendment procedure.
A “Proposal” is an amendment that was not or is supposed to be implemented in future.
An “Interpretation” is a legal determination by a body that is endowed with the authority to issue binding interpretations on the constitutional text. This category is not limited to courts or other traditional bodies of the judiciary. Exemplary bodies include constitutional courts or boards.
5. Related Legal Text
“Related Legal Texts” are those legal documents that are directly relevant to the constitutional provisions and are hierarchically placed below constitutional legal authority. Examples include election laws, laws relating to political parties and laws on the judiciary.
We list secondary materials for each constitutional event of the five categories. These include scholarly articles and the travaux préparatoires.
- 23/01/2012 | Proposal | Drafting a New Constitution in Turkey
- 12/09/2010 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 2010
- 10/05/2007 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 2007
- 27/12/2002 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 2002
- 17/10/2001 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 2001
- 13/08/1999 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 1999
- 23/07/1995 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 1995
- 08/07/1993 | Amendment | Constitution of 1982 as amended 1993
- 17/05/1987 | Amendment | Law No. 3361
- 07/11/1982 | New Constitutional Document | 1982 Constitution of Turkey
- 1978 | Amendment | Constitution of 1961 as amended 1978
- 1961 | New Constitutional Document | 1961 Constitution of Turkey
- 1924 | New Constitutional Document | 1924 Constitution of Turkey
- 1921 | New Constitutional Document | 1921 Constitution of Turkey
- 21/08/1909 | Amendment | Revised Articles of the 1876 Ottoman Constitution
- 23/12/1876 | New Constitutional Document | The 1876 Ottoman Constitution
- 03/11/1839 | New Constitutional Document | Hatt-i Şerif of Gülhane (Ottoman decree)