Constitutional document in force:
Click for information on the methodology
The country pages are collections from information openly available on the web or documents obtained by the MECF with national constitutional events categorized as follows:
1. New Constitutional Document
A “New Constitutional Document” under the terms of this website is a text that bears new constitutional authority, which was not enacted by a preexisting amendment procedure of the highest law available.
Documents are categorized as “Amendments” if they were established according to an existing constitutional amendment procedure.
A “Proposal” is an amendment that was not or is supposed to be implemented in future.
An “Interpretation” is a legal determination by a body that is endowed with the authority to issue binding interpretations on the constitutional text. This category is not limited to courts or other traditional bodies of the judiciary. Exemplary bodies include constitutional courts or boards.
5. Related Legal Text
“Related Legal Texts” are those legal documents that are directly relevant to the constitutional provisions and are hierarchically placed below constitutional legal authority. Examples include election laws, laws relating to political parties and laws on the judiciary.
We list secondary materials for each constitutional event of the five categories. These include scholarly articles and the travaux préparatoires.
- 24/02/2012 | New Constitutional Document | 2012 Constitution of Syria
- 15/10/2011 | Proposal | Presidential Decree No. 33 of Syria
- 10/06/2000 | Amendment | Constitution of Syria as amended in 2000
- 13/03/1973 | New Constitutional Document | 1973 Constitution of Syria
- 20/08/1971 | Proposal | 1971 Draft constitution of the United Arab Republic
- 23/03/1964 | New Constitutional Document | 1964 United Arab Republic Constitution
- 27/09/1958 | Related Legal Text | Law No. 162 of 1958 (“Emergency Law”)
- 05/03/1958 | New Constitutional Document | 1958 United Arab Republic Interim Constitution
- 07/09/1950 | New Constitutional Document | 1950 Constitution of Syria
- 25/03/1948 | Amendment | Amendment Law
- 14/05/1930 | New Constitutional Document | 1930 Constitution of Syria
- 04/07/1928 | Proposal | Constitution of Syria