Constitutional document in force:
- Find the different constitutional parts below
- No current drafting process known
Click for information on the methodology
The country pages are collections from information openly available on the web or documents obtained by the MECF with national constitutional events categorized as follows:
1. New Constitutional Document
A “New Constitutional Document” under the terms of this website is a text that bears new constitutional authority, which was not enacted by a preexisting amendment procedure of the highest law available.
Documents are categorized as “Amendments” if they were established according to an existing constitutional amendment procedure.
A “Proposal” is an amendment that was not or is supposed to be implemented in future.
An “Interpretation” is a legal determination by a body that is endowed with the authority to issue binding interpretations on the constitutional text. This category is not limited to courts or other traditional bodies of the judiciary. Exemplary bodies include constitutional courts or boards.
5. Related Legal Text
“Related Legal Texts” are those legal documents that are directly relevant to the constitutional provisions and are hierarchically placed below constitutional legal authority. Examples include election laws, laws relating to political parties and laws on the judiciary.
We list secondary materials for each constitutional event of the five categories. These include scholarly articles and the travaux préparatoires.
- 07/03/2001 | Amendment | The Government
- 09/03/1994 | Amendment | Freedom of Occupation
- 14/04/1992 | Amendment | The Government
- 17/03/1992 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (Human Dignity and Liberty) of Israel
- 03/03/1992 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (Freedom of Occupation) of Israel
- 15/02/1988 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the State Comptroller) of Israel
- 28/02/1984 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the Judiciary) of Israel
- 30/07/1980 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (Jerusalem, the Capital of Israel) of Israel
- 31/03/1976 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the Army) of Israel
- 13/08/1968 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the Government) Israel
- 19/07/1960 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the People’s Lands) of Israel
- 06/08/1959 | Amendment | Basic Law: The Knesset
- 12/02/1958 | New Constitutional Document | Basic Law (the Knesset) of Israel
- 13/06/1950 | Proposal | Harari Proposal