Constitutional document in force:
- 1973 Constitution as amended 2011: English
- No current drafting process known
Click for information on the methodology
The country pages are collections from information openly available on the web or documents obtained by the MECF with national constitutional events categorized as follows:
1. New Constitutional Document
A “New Constitutional Document” under the terms of this website is a text that bears new constitutional authority, which was not enacted by a preexisting amendment procedure of the highest law available.
Documents are categorized as “Amendments” if they were established according to an existing constitutional amendment procedure.
A “Proposal” is an amendment that was not or is supposed to be implemented in future.
An “Interpretation” is a legal determination by a body that is endowed with the authority to issue binding interpretations on the constitutional text. This category is not limited to courts or other traditional bodies of the judiciary. Exemplary bodies include constitutional courts or boards.
5. Related Legal Text
“Related Legal Texts” are those legal documents that are directly relevant to the constitutional provisions and are hierarchically placed below constitutional legal authority. Examples include election laws, laws relating to political parties and laws on the judiciary.
We list secondary materials for each constitutional event of the five categories. These include scholarly articles and the travaux préparatoires.
- 01/01/2011 | Amendment | Constitution of Pakistan as amended by the Nineteenth Amendment
- 22/12/2010 | Amendment | Nineteenth Amendment
- 19/04/2010 | Amendment | Eighteenth Amendment
- 31/12/2004 | Amendment | Seventeenth Amendment
- 05/08/1999 | Amendment | Sixteenth Amendment
- 09/10/1998 | Proposal | Fifteenth Amendment as presented and passed by the National Assembly
- 28/08/1998 | Proposal | Fifteenth Amendment as presented in Parliament
- 03/07/1997 | Amendment | Fourteenth Amendment
- 04/04/1997 | Amendment | Thirtheenth Amendment
- 28/07/1991 | Amendment | Twelfth Amendment
- 1989 | Proposal | Eleventh Amendment
- 29/03/1987 | Amendment | Tenth Amendment
- 11/11/1985 | Amendment | Eighth Amendment
- 1985 | Proposal | Ninth Amendment
- 16/05/1977 | Amendment | Seventh Amendment
- 04/01/1977 | Amendment | Sixth Amendment
- 16/09/1976 | Amendment | Fifth Amendment
- 25/11/1975 | Amendment | Fourth Amendment
- 18/02/1975 | Amendment | Third Amendment
- 21/09/1974 | Amendment | Second Amendment
- 08/05/1974 | Amendment | First Amendment
- 10/04/1973 | New Constitutional Document | 1973 Constitution of Pakistan
- 08/06/1962 | New Constitutional Document | 1962 Constitution of Pakistan
- 02/03/1956 | New Constitutional Document | 1956 Constitution of Pakistan